RFC: rpm auto-glib version enforcement

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Mar 20 20:48:23 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 05:56, Warren Togami wrote:
> I added this to gaim.spec a while ago because users were installing
> rawhide gaim compiled against glib2-2.6.x on FC3, which has glib2-2.4.x.
>   gaim was then crashing because:
>
> 1) applications compiled against a newer glib are not backwards ABI
> compatible.  AFAIK glib is supposed to be only forward ABI compatible. [1]
> 2) glib does not use verisoned so names
> 3) so rpm auto-dep cannot enforce compatible glib ABI version

Warren -- anyone who takes a binary package from an up-level release and tries
to run it on a down-level system will likely get problems (e.g., from rawhide
on FC3).  While newbies may not understand this, experienced users should.

Somehow, there needs to be education that taking packages from up-level (e.g.,
rawhide) to be run on a down-level system MUST be rebuilt on the down-level
systems.

I certainly understand your frustration with these "extra" bugzilla reports
but there must be a better way than kluging the spec files.
--
Gene