Ethernet card, cable link state ?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Mar 20 23:17:50 UTC 2005

> > Is the link state tracked for all eth devices, the linux device driver I
> > book implies it is.
> >
> > Any pointers at docs would be very helpful at this point.
>
> Try "ethtool eth0" and go from there.

Hmmm, while on this (and I think this is a devel related issue)...

I've just moved from a Compaq Armada to a Dell Latitude and one of the
first things I noticed was that during boot-up the network card in the
Dell seems to think it's 'plugged-in' even when there is no cable there.

For example, when the compaq booted, it would note that there was no
cable connected and just move on (instead of stalling while trying to
start a netword card that wasn't connected).  The Dell, however, stalls
for a while, trying to establish the impossible (a wired connection
without a cable).

Is this a bug, and if so, should it be reported?  The wired connection
(when I've used it) seems to work well, although I haven't given it
anything stressful to really test it.

Rodd