OpenNTPD inclusion on Fedora Core

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 14:55:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:46:34AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:31:33AM +1200, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> > Haven't seen anything come through on this list or in the archives about
> > OpenNTPD:
>
> I think there's been some discussion before. I'm basically for it, although
> we wouldn't want to jump ship on the existing, working program without some
> good testing. Perhaps the best approach interim approach is to configure the
> existing ntp with the 'alternatives' system a la sendmail/postfix/exim, and
> then add openntpd to extras?

alternatives is really a bad hack. With existing rpm functionality you can
already make sure only one of them is installed (if they should really overlap,
which sounds unlikely for ntp) and then the remaining item is to teach
anaconda about multiple conflicting rpm packages.

Having several MTA packages installed is also very confusing, so I'd rather
go into any "non-alternatives" direction if at all possible.

greetings,

Florian La Roche