A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Joe Desbonnet jdesbonnet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:09:07 UTC 2005

The first version of my delta compression RPM virtual repository /
proxy server is ready. This is just a proof-of-concept at the moment,
but it may be good enough to be useful to some. Here are the release
notes: http://www.wombat.ie/software/rpmdc/releasenotes-0.1.0.html

Right now you need to have the following to get it to work:
  * Jakarta Tomcat 4.1.31
  * Sun JDK 1.4.2

It may work with other servlet containers and JavaVMs but that is the
only combination I had time to test so far. If it proves useful it
should be possible to remove the Tomcat dependency and perhaps compile
to navative with gcj (?).

I've created a delta repository to work with this software here:
http://rpmdelta.wombat.ie/rpmdelta/fc3/i386/

That repository covers most of the updates for FC3/i386 and is only
250MB in size (compared to over 1GB for the RPMs).

The release is available here:
http://www.wombat.ie/software/rpmdc/downloads/rpmdc-0.1.0.tar.gz

Joe.