Status of USB install support in FC4 Test1?

Bernd Bartmann bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:10:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:58:31 -0800, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:56:36 +0100 Bernd Bartmann <bernd.bartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > what's the status in FC4 Test1 for install support to USB storage
> > devices. FC3 only seems to allow installation to USB storage devices
> > in expert mode and even then you have to manually created an initrd
> > with support for the USB storage modules. Is there any progress in
> > this area planned for FC4?
>
> No, I'm not aware of anything. Maybe Jeremy knows?
>
> Also please pardon me asking, but why would you want this? It sounds like
> a crackpot idea to me. Do you want to have something like Fedoppix on
> a USB flash key? I am very interested to know what is the intended
> application of such install.

The intended application is a completely hard disk and fan-less system
- no rotating parts --> no mechanical problems (broken fans or hdds).
With 4GB and even 8GB CF-Cards and a passively cooled VIA C3 CPU
available it is easy to build such a system as a thin client or
firewall machine.

BTW: I have FC4T1 now up and running in such a way. But I still had to
do some dirty work to get this going. Please see bug #151690 for a
short description.

cu,
Bernd.