LDAP

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:48:58 UTC 2005

RK> Hello Can we please discuss this point about an preinstalled LDAP
RK> Server on System Install for storing user account data by default?

Are you advocating the elimination of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
altogether, or just storing all user accounts in LDAP?  For a regular
desktop machine not integrated into a larger computing environment,
this would seem to be overkill.  For a machine that has to integrate
into a network, this is already done.

So what's left?  A standalone machine with a large number of users?

 - J<