Q on yum cleanup

Tue Mar 22 19:51:55 UTC 2005

Le mardi 22 mars 2005 à 14:35 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:21:17 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot
> <Nicolas.Mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> > OTOH a shorthand for --exclude would be welcome.
> > Sometimes on rawhide you end up with several lines of this stuff just to
> > get around a bad build state.
>
> I think designing features specifically meant to make it easy to
> workaround typical rawhide breakage.. is probably not a good way to go
> about picking features to expose to users out of the metaphysical
> feature multiverse... even in a cli interface.
>
> Would it be better to move away from the --exclude list concept
> completely, and have yum report back to you a list of packages that
> can not be updated and give you a chance to exclude the whole list
> interactively and proceed with the rest of the updates?
>
> <me>yum update
> ...yum thinks a bit...
> <yum>dude there are like 17 out of 34 packages i can't actually update
> because of unresolvable deps. Heres the list:
> ....yum lists packages that can not be updated....
> <yum>Would you like me to exclude this set of packages and attempt to
> update the rest?
> <me> uhm... sure.
> ...yum thinks a bit...
> <yum>Here are the list of 17 package updates for you to review would
> you like to proceed?
> <me>yes
> ...yum continues as usual...

This would do as well.

I know Seth just hates Rawhide, multiple conflicting repositories and
all the real-world stuff that makes his baby so much more convoluted
than what he wanted to do at first. So my cunning plan is to nudge him
in the direction I wanted yum to take from day one, hoping he's been
exposed to Fedora Devel long enough it no longer rubs him too much in
the wrong places.

Your proposal OTOH might be a little too obvious to be accepted at this
stage;)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot