Rawhide NetworkManager

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 22 22:57:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:39:08PM -0800, Remco Treffkorn wrote:
> Why do we need the files in tree places, even if it's just links?
> Is there documentation I should read to understand what is going on?
> How are networking/profiles used?
> Any pointers, please...

The existence of a file/hardlink in a directory makes it a member of
that profile.  It is intended that there be e.g. multiple
ifcfg-eth0Profile files, one for each Profile, even if they configure
the same hardware device.  When you activate a specific profile, all
the network devices that are not a member of that profile are
deactivated, and all the ones that are a member of that profile are
activated.  Hardlinking allows the same "virtual device configuration"
to be shared with multiple profiles.

It took me a while of playing with system-config-network and looking
at the generated file tree to figure out the paradigm.  I must say it
is strange and non-intuitive.