Rawhide NetworkManager

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 09:59:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 13:33 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 18:32 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > Hmm, how can I find out what methods a remote object implements -- dir()
> > obviously doesn't tell me there is getType(), but it worked kind of:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./NetworkManagerTinkerer.py", line 18, in ?
> >     print dhcpOptions.getType ('NTP Servers')
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/dbus.py", line 208, in __call__
> >     reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message,
> > 5000)
> >   File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 557, in
> > dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
> > dbus_bindings.DBusException: The requested DHCP option does not exist.
>
> The other issue here might be that the server didn't reply with this
> option at all.  Which itself might be because we didn't explicitly
> request it, or because it just doesn't have that option set.  For
> example, the office DHCP servers return the NTP server option, but
> wireless routers usually do not.  This is what just happened to me when
> I switched to a wireless connection here at the office.  I suspect that
> apps will have to have intelligent fallbacks.

That's more or less what I have in mind -- try to get the DHCP option
(well, ask for it first -- e.g. I have configured my internal DHCP
server to deliver NTP servers if asked), see if it makes sense ;-) and
if one of either fails, set a default based on the network identified
(through domain names e.a.), whack some services and the like.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com