append only file system - selinux?

Chris Stankaitis chris at beowulf.net
Thu Mar 24 20:58:40 UTC 2005

here is my issue, for security certification purposes I need to be able
to create an append only file system for logs, such that no one *even
root* will be able to futz with the log files on my log server.

my problem is that to the best of my knowledge (and I do hope I am wrong
and corrected here) this can not be done on the kernel level in
RHEL/Fedora, I can chattr a log append only but any root user can take
the flag off, clean up the stuff in the log they don't want seen and
re-chattr the file.

I know on BSD variants you can set this on an OS level, thus to subvert
the logs you would need to reboot, change the setting, do your dirty
work, reboot again turn the setting back etc... basically VERY trackable
given the fact that the box needs to be rebooted a few time..

I really want to avoid having to run a BSD variant. but if that is what
I need to do to get the functionality I will.

I am sure that others have come up with this problem with regards to
security compliance.  what are you guys doing.

If there is no 2.4 kernel solution, is there a 2.6/selinux solution to
my problem? that would not allow anyone (even root) to do anything but
append to logs?

Thank you in advance for the advice.