RFC: Optimizing for 386 (Part 2)

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 08:26:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:34:08 -0600, Derek Moore <derek.p.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> He's not the only one that believes compiler optimizations have an
> effect at runtime (if he was, Gentoo wouldn't exist).

Another breed called Arch Linux seems to believe that i686-optimized
packagers would be better than the i386-optimized ones.

http://www.archlinux.org/about.php

I came across this a while ago, that's why I ask a simlar question in
the fedora-list mailing list.

A friend told me that he felt the power with arch linux. He used
Fedora before and complained that Fedora was getting bloated and
claimed arch linux was delivering more performance. Oh well I can't
really compare or couldn't verify it but I'm really happy with Fedora.

--
Cheers,
Didier.

Didier F.B Casse | PhD candidate | LiMiNT Beamline
Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS), 5 Research Link, Singapore 117603
Email: elprodigioREMOVE_THIS_ANTISPAM_MOJO at gmail.com|
Web: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg | GPG Key 1024D/B3C57D01 2004-06-23