Firefox slows down pc......

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:08:41 UTC 2005

> søn, 27.03.2005 kl. 18.46 skrev Kaspars:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >   I search and don`t see that there is topic about my problem yet and
> > don`t know is this here...
> >   I`m using fresh FC3 reinstalled for week and updated, problem is that
> > something like to eat my pc power and I found that it is firefox... New
> > firefox when opened couple tabs (last 5) and all try to download some
> > site was fulling my memory/processor, top of the "top":
> > 19.0 10.1   2:10.66 firefox-bin
> > 10.2 50.3  11:52.26 X
> > and load start to fullfill: load average: 5.31, 3.43, 1.98
> >
> > Last time load was go so high that something kill some process and pc
> > freeze. Only reboot help...
> > So I`m thinking what to do, I have all updated etc. Start to think to
> > compile maybe by my self ff. Don`t know what to do...
> > Pc is year old Toshiba Satellite with p4 and 256ram.
> >

> > Casper
>
> Just wondering: Do you have a bunch of flashy flash animations open?
> Flash tend to eat cpu for breakfast...

I have a similar problem with no flash (don't even have it installed)
where for some sites firefox cpu usage will go through the roof. The
site I find this happens the most often is actually the Fedora
downloads page where you have a listing for the entire distro seems to
just kill firefox but if you go to a mirror its OK rather annoying
since I'm often behind a firewall with no ftp access.

(eg http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
)

Cheers
Pete