Firefox slows down pc......

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 29 06:56:34 UTC 2005

Peter Robinson wrote:
 > I have a similar problem with no flash (don't even have it installed)
> where for some sites firefox cpu usage will go through the roof. The
> site I find this happens the most often is actually the Fedora
> downloads page where you have a listing for the entire distro seems to
> just kill firefox but if you go to a mirror its OK rather annoying
> since I'm often behind a firewall with no ftp access.
>
> (eg http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/
> )

This is caused by the large amount of content being rendered in a <pre>.  If we turn on IndexOptions HTMLTable, we can probably get much better performance out of the browser here.  Even older browsers such as lynx, w3m, links, etc handle tables fine, AFAIK.

I just quickly hacked together a script and converted the HTML to use tables.  The difference is actually very noticable:

http://people.redhat.com/caillon/ftp-current.html
vs.
http://people.redhat.com/caillon/ftp-tables.html

My script wasn't perfect, so it isn't as pretty as it could have been I guess, but you get the idea.