kernel source code

not disclosed n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:07:06 UTC 2005

Dear All,

RE: In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists in
the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. -
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/

I think this is a big mistake - kernel-source didn't harm anyone and
removing it hugely increases the amount of hassle involved in any kernel
upgrade.  You have to accept that fedora users will be using stuff that lies
outside the fedora world of nicely packaged programs and this means that
users need the source code.  The hassle involved with this elimination of
the kernel source code package is irritating enough for us to consider using
another distro when we come to change from FC2.

Please put the kernel sourcecode back.

Cheers,

SA