kernel source code

not disclosed n0td1scl0s3d at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:00:20 UTC 2005

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is supposed to mean?

      In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists in
the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources can
find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source tree
from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version> refers to
the version specification for your currently-running kernel):
         1.            Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of
the following sources:
DONE
         2.            Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default
RPM configuration, the files this package contains will be written to
/usr/src/redhat/)
Presumably rpm -i ....src.rpm - DONE
         3.            Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue
the following command:
            rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec
            (Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)
DONE
            On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located
in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.
         4.            In resulting tree, the configurations for the
specific kernels shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/ directory.
For example, the i686 SMP configuration file is named
/configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the following command to
place the desired configuration file in the proper place for building:

            cp <desired-file> ./.config
Errr- where are you supposed to be when you do this (cadidates are in this
case /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/linux-2.6.10/configs or
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/)

         5.            Issue the following command:

            make oldconfig
Errr - where are you supposed to be in this case? presumably where there is
the top level makefile is?

And where are the sources supposed to end up? the directory
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.10/linux-2.6.10 doesn't seem very
general... I guess it is appropriate to copy this to /usr/src?

I did have one minor complaint about the behaviour of yum and
kernel-sourcecode before and that was that yum insisted in deleting
sourcecodes from other kernel versions making it a pain to upgrade gently.
Still it was easier than this...

Thanks,

SA