kernel source code

William Beebe wbeebe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 04:26:52 UTC 2005

I like Fedora for many reasons, not the least of which is I can pull a
stock kernel off kernel.org, build it, and boot it, with FC3. With
nothing more than the normal download-unpack-and-make dance I can run
with the bleeding edge (or the latest fixes, depending on your point
of view).

Having said that I support the current change to how sources are
supplied as long as this state of affairs continues. I look at my
experiences with my other distro here at home, SuSE 9.1. With SuSE I
have had the devil's own time learning how to build a stock kernel
that will boot with SuSE. For the longest it would stop after
unpacking the kernel and right before booting the root device, saying
it couldn't find the bloody thing. So if for some reason FC starts to
behave like SuSE with regards to stock kernels, well, I don't what
I'll do. Cry into my beer, I guess. And go buy a Mac.

As a satisfied customer all I ask is please fix what you break before
I find out about it :)

Thanks for everything.