kernel source code

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Mar 31 02:30:31 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 17:44, not disclosed wrote:
> Examples: comedi doesn't compile without the source, we need to rip stuff
> from the drivers as example code in volatile kernel source (last example
> MTRR register contol / SMP safety under "hyper threading IA32" /  INT size
> x86_64 are the last issue I can remember) and need to make kernel mods (HID
> driver / labjack).

Yeah, the labjack stuff and comedi are kindof broken.  But, getting
kernel-sourcecode yourself isn't very hard.

What you might investigate is integrating the labjack stuff and comedi into
your own custom kernel RPM that you build on a single host, push to your own
internal yum repository, and stay with convenient RPM packaging.  This is the
correct way of doing it, and then you don't have to build the stuff on your
controller PC's (that is what you are needed machine control stuff like
labjack (we have nearly a dozen of those handy beasts here at PARI doing
telescope control), right?).  Integrating the patches yourself in the spec
isn't very hard and saves all kinds of space on your control PC's.

And the chances of comedi getting into the kernel could be kindof slim.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology