applications which depend on esound

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed May 4 10:10:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 07:59, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> There are several applications which depend on esound which seems weird,
> as I thought these use gstreamer:
>         libesd.so.0 is needed by (installed) nautilus-2.10.0-3.i386
>         libesd.so.0 is needed by (installed) gnome-media-2.10.0-2.i386
[..]
>         esound >= 1:0.2.27 is needed by (installed)
> libgnomeui-2.10.0-1.i386
[..]
> Should I file upstream bugs for these to remove direct esound depencies
> and require only gstreamer?

No. The only actual dependency is in libgnome/&ui, and the others solely
depend on esd because libgnome/&ui do. The libgnome/&ui people are aware
of the problem and may at some point be ported to GStreamer; the problem
isn't so much the patching itself, because patches are available, but
the amount on which we want to drop an unstable API of a huge library
into the GNOME developer platform (*). Once ported, that will remove the
esd dependency from the others, too.

Ronald

(*) that doesn't mean it won't be accepted; it just means it'll take
some time. ;).

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>