/usr/libexec

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue May 10 16:02:27 UTC 2005

Russell Coker (russell at coker.com.au) said:
> The Gentoo people want /usr/lib/postfix for 32bit compiles
> and /usr/lib64/postfix on 64bit compiles.  I believe that approach is totally
> wrong and that /usr/libexec/postfix (as used in Fedora) is the better option.
> If there's general agreement with that then we can move of requesting that
> the FHS be changed to make the Red Hat practice be a standard in this regard.

If the support programs need to be the same wordsize as the app/libraries
in question, it should be in /usr/{lib,lib64}/<app>.

If they don't care, it can be in /usr/libexec.

For example, xscreensaver has screensaver hacks in
/usr/libexec/xscreensaver - these don't care about the wordsize at all
(in fact, they can be shell/python/etc). So, /usr/libexec seems
appropriate here.

As a counter example of something broken, there is
/usr/libexec/sudo_noexec.so, which really should be in
/usr/{lib,lib64}/sudo.

Bill