/usr/libexec

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue May 10 16:54:36 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 02:01, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> > If we have /usr/lib for 32bit SOs and /usr/lib64 for 64bit SOs, then it
> > seems clear to me that programs which are part of Postfix which may be
> > either 32bit or 64bit depending on which package is installed belong to
> > neither category. Therefore another place such as /usr/libexec seems
> > appropriate.
> >
> > The Gentoo people want /usr/lib/postfix for 32bit compiles
> > and /usr/lib64/postfix on 64bit compiles.  I believe that approach is
> > totally wrong and that /usr/libexec/postfix (as used in Fedora) is the
> > better option. If there's general agreement with that then we can move of
> > requesting that the FHS be changed to make the Red Hat practice be a
> > standard in this regard.
>
> I think you're completely wrong.
>
> Look at it this way: <random program> may not be sterilized for its
> internal interfaces, in respect of being cross-archictecture clean.  If

That's what I expect.

> you put it in libexec, then for exactly the reasons you mention you
> *HAVE* to handle mixed-mode.

If you have separate directories for 32bit and 64bit then you would have
matching application configuration as to which directory to look in.
Therefore you don't need the internal application interfaces to be
cross-architecture clean unless you bork your config files.

If you have only one directory for such programs (/usr/libexec) then you only
have one version of the application installed at any time and therefore you
can't have cross-architecture issues.

I don't understand what the problem is.

I think that Bill's idea makes sense.  Use /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 for
anything that needs separate versions for word sizes and use /usr/libexec for
anything that doesn't.