What happened to pup?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sun May 22 21:30:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005 22:24:31 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
>    Why XTF and not a traditional Netscape style plugin? Well, you really
>    want to be able to control the rendering precisely and defer certain
>    things to Gecko - like rendering SVG icons which are blended on top of
>    web page content.

Oh, I forgot to mention some other advantages of using XTF:

- Browsers that don't support it will cleanly ignore the tags and so that
  CSS block will just disappear. That makes web design a *lot* easier as
  you don't need hacky JavaScript to figure out whether to add the icon or
  not

- Semantically cleaner: a <launcher> (or whatever) tag is so much nicer
  than random <object><embed/></> goop

- Makes it (reasonably) implementation independent

- Easier to extend with extra attributes or tags later instead of the
  <param> system

thanks -mike