How to debug a hung system?

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Mon May 30 07:52:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 10:03 -0700, Frank Chen wrote:
> I installed FC3 on a ASUS Terminator C3 PC. It has a
> VIA C3 CPU. The system becomes completely unresponsive
> from time to time. The only thing I could do was to do
> a hard reboot. Any suggestions on how to debug such a
> system?

You will probably need to use a serial console to connect to the system
and capture any output.  See:

	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

and you may want to make grub use the serial console as well:

	http://www.rajeevnet.com/linux/grub_serial_console.html

If you are using the system when this occurs then rebooting and looking
is /var/log/messages for entries around the time of the problem may
help.

This sort of question is not appropriate for the Fedora Development
List.  You would be better asking on the Fedora List: