rawhide report: 20051110 changes

Avi Kivity avi at argo.co.il
Thu Nov 10 20:35:28 UTC 2005

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>> Build System wrote:
>>
>>> - Rebuild due to mysql 5.0 update and openssl library update.
>>>

>> we see rebuilds very often due to library updates. are they strictly
>> necessary (i.e., do the libraries break binary compatbility so often?)
>>
>> much of the advantages of shared libraries are lost this way. we have
>> to update a ton of packages, and those which are forgotten (or
>> locally built) break.
>>

> sometimes updating a shared library breaks the interface

if the interface was broken. surly more than a rebuild would be
required. the application using the library would need to be updated.

> or possibly even adds new features that we want.

if we use the new feaures we need to update the code in the library's
users. if we don't, why is a rebuild required?

> In these cases rebuild is required. Most times, it's when updating to
> a new version of a lib, openssl 0.9.7 - 0.9.8 which i believe is what
> has happened here. (haven't checked though)

seems a lot of churn for a minor release. library authors should care
more. designing binary compatible capable interfaces is not that hard.

just consider what would happen if glibc didn't care about backward
compatibility. every glibc update would require rebuilding and updating
the entire distribution.