lndir and modular x, could this be a seperate package?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Nov 13 06:06:12 UTC 2005

Paul Wouters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the very useful tool "lndir" regularly in much the same way
> as the new hardlink package is used (though I am not sure if hardlinks
> can fully replace lndir, since I have managed to wipe out my trees
> in /usr/src/kernels by just adding/removing kernel packages, but that
> is another issue).

The "lndir" and "hardlinks" tools serve completely different purposes.
They are not interchangeable, nor intended to be.

> I would like lndir to be installable without pulling in a lot of X,
> since it has no X windows dependancy at all. It just happened to come
> with X:
>
> [root at uml ~]# rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/bin/lndir
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

lndir is used by X developers during development.  It may or may not
be used during the monolithic build of X as well.  It's a utility
that probably should be in GNU coreutils IMHO, but isn't.

X11R7 currently does not contain lndir.  I'm not sure if there are
plans to keep it for X11R7 final release or not.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't.  xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
would probably be the best place to ask about lndir though. ;)