init observations

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 22:46:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:23:56PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
 > On 11/15/05, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
 > > Basically, can we have X up in 10s? :)
 >
 > I still don't understand exactly why this is the important goal.
 > Explain to me why the 10second to X goal on "reboot" is more important
 > than getting a robust suspend/hibernate working that doesn't require a
 > full boot up process at all?

If suspend was 100% reliable, I'd agree.  For a lot of systems,
we may never get them working due to lack of hardware specifications
to wake the drivers up on resume. (Video drivers are particularly
bad in this area).

Even for the hardware we *do* have docs for, we're likely to be
playing bug-whack-a-mole for quite some time yet.  For FC4 and
earlier, any suspend/resume bugs that have been filed have
frankly been 'best effort'. If it was a simple fix, I merged it.
Anything else is stuff that we've inherited from upstream.

With swsusp being enabled in FC5, I'm expecting to see a lot
more suspend/resume bugs being filed after its release.

		Dave