init: API

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Nov 20 17:48:25 UTC 2005

--On Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:52 PM +0200 Gilboa Davara
<gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> A. Who said that both / and /usr are on the same partition? (Or on the
> same machine for that matter?)

Yep, this is a separate issue. Mounting /usr read-only is desirable, so
putting it on a separate partition is nice.

Ignoring XML specifically as the configuration language, what's important
is that the language have a common parser, so that every service doesn't
have to provide its own. If not XML, do we invent a new language, or codify
an existing one? If an existing one, someone needs to extract the parser
from some single implementation and declare it the one that all others will
be rewritten to use, so that there's no ambiguity in the syntax.

So far all init scripts are written in Bash, and the ones I'm familiar with
use simple variable=value pairs, using Bash syntax. Is that sufficient?
What can't be expressed in that way?

The hierarchical configuration I've seen has been in the networking
scripts, and is encoded in the filesystem, using filenames or directory
trees to represent configuration nodes. What's the drawback of that, if any?