'everything' install option in FC5test1

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Sat Nov 26 16:02:09 UTC 2005

On 11/26/2005 10:35:27 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:32:17PM +0000, Willem Riede wrote:
> > >that it shouldn't include language-specific packages.  Some people think
> > >it should.  With multiple repositories, should it include all of the
> > >packages from all of the repositories?  What happens if there are
> > That one is solvable by calling it "everything from core" and having a
> [...]
>
> But if it is just "everything from core", what's the argument for having it,
> then? From what I've heard from people who like having Everything, they want
> it because they want every possibility pre-installed -- which this wouldn't
> be. It'd just be "a bunch of stuff that's useful in a core distribution,
> the majority of which isn't ever going to be useful or relevant to any one
> specific installation".

Having "everything from every repo that I identified" installed is not a safe
option to provide. Many repos hold updates to core packages that should not be
blindly chosen.

And frankly, I'd vote for not having an everything option at all, because your
qualification of the majority not being useful or relevant to the user
defenitely holds independant of how wide an everything net you cast.

The only reason users go for it IMHO is that they they don't know what they
want or need. They end up with stuff installed they don't know they have, even
though they might use it if they knew. With yum it is so easy and convenient
to just pull in a package that you want to try once you learn about its
existance, that I don't see the value of speculatively pre-installing.

But if there is going to be an "everything", again IMHO, it should be limited
to core.

Regards, Willem Riede.