Modern Update System

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 11:27:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 21:55 -0500, David Hollis wrote:
>  What would really be the best answer to this would be having
> anaconda have the ability to pull down updates from a yum repo during
> install, so instead of installing package Z only to have it updated to a
> patched version right after reboot, it's all done on the first shot.  If
> you maintain a large number of systems, just make a mirror of the Fedora
> updates to keep the traffic local.

I'm working on something like that for myself - what I'm doing though
isn't using anaconda. It's using a "live CD" - well, DVD actually -
boots into a basic gnome desktop environment.

Installer installs (OK - I haven't finished yet) via yum from a local
repository on the DVD. It will have the option to bring up network and
use an updates repository to grab the newest if so desired - though it
would increase install time if you don't have a local mirror (and even
then it probably would too)

Anyway - my goal is for an Mac OS 7/8/9 type installer - simple gui, gui
partition tool if you don't want Linux to be the only OS (or want custom
partitioning), maybe some repair utilities, only two install options -
gnome desktop (no devel packages) and devel (gnome desktop + devel
environment)

But I'm far from done. I'm using a rather neat live CD project called
adios as the base for my live DVD.

Anyway - not really on topic, but what I'm looking to do is to create
something that is easy for OEM's to distribute and modify (IE if they
licensed additional gstreamer plugins from fluendo, or additional fonts,
etc. - they could add the rpm's and update the group list and be done)

There is a potential problem though - if a mirror has not synced, it
could cause an installation failure. So I'm not sure that it would be
appropriate for Anaconda to do it.