Self-Introduction: Denis Ovsienko and /etc/net project

Denis Ovsienko linux at pilot.org.ua
Thu Nov 3 18:35:38 UTC 2005

Denis Ovsienko
Russia, Moscow
Linux system administrator and developer
ValueCommerce/Russia

I develop /etc/net project (http://etcnet.org) and my goal is to integrate it
into Fedora Core.

I am a member of ALTLinux Team. /etc/net is already integrated into ALTLinux
development tree and should soon be seen in 3.0 version.
I know that ArchLinux has /etc/net in its repository. IDMS Linux did so too,
but i haven't heard from them for last months.
My skills include 6 years Linux experience, several programming
languages, 5 years of mixed software development and system/network
administration and so on, but I guess it's not related much to my goal now.
I have reviewed current initscripts buglist.

Some bugs are not bugs in /etc/net:
#65114 RFE: ifup-aliases iproute support, ifup/ifup-aliases scop...
#75390 it would be nice to tie bandwidth shaping into the networ...
#129820 initscripts maclist patch
#132252 Request for addition of routing rule config file
#132912 No additional IP addresses at ethX without aliased devices
#132925 initscripts use old ifconfig instead of iproute2
#154348 Adds support for WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) to the ifup...
#168990 No ifup-gre/ifdown-gre scripts.
#170884 MTU of ethernet card can't be set before interface is up
#171763 Enhancement to initscripts

Some bugs gave me ideas how to improve /etc/net:
#59114 .d-style scripts for ifup/ifdown
#119952 RFE: Add hook for "local" network initialization
#124045 Support setting a metric on interface routes

The whole process, if we don't face some unexpected problems, should take
3 to 6 months. What I need:
1. Ability to advocate patches (sometimes heavy) to about 10-20 FC packages.
2. Probably some help with documentation.
How can we start?

pub   1024D/6D1844F2 2002-11-11
      Key fingerprint = AF2F DDAE 7EB3 4699 09FF  F0FC 00B1 6D41 6D18 44F2
uid                  Denis Ovsienko <linux at pilot.org.ua>
uid                  Denis Ovsienko (http://pilot.org.ua) <pilot at altlinux.ru>
sub   2048g/57B7ACBE 2002-11-11

--