FC5test1 devel freeze, November 14th

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:37:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 10:19 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 16:35 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> > If you are involved in the development of Fedora Core as a packager,
> > here is information that will be relevant to you.
> >
> > FC5test1 devel freeze now November 14th
> > =======================================
> > Rawhide is undergoing a large amount of churn as we are preparing for
> > the switch from monolithic to modular X.  Modular X is one of the larger
> > and more important changes of FC5, meaning we need extensive test
> > exposure.  For this reason the test1 devel freeze has been postponed
> > until November 14th.
>
> Warren,
>
> While I know that the move to modular X is important, there's some other
> nagging issues in rawhide that are going to drive the list mad if they
> aren't addressed before test1 is released.
>
> The most obvious of these (IMHO) is devices not appearing on desktop or
> appearing to be mounted from Computer (et al) when they are indeed
> mounted.

This problem is fixed in Hal cvs.  We are working on a timetable for a
0.5.5 release, that will include these changes.  Some of the
accompanying problems, like the duplicating cdrom icon, are bugs in
gnome-vfs.  I have submitted patches but I have no idea when and if they
will be pulled into a new gnome-vfs release.

> I also suspect that we're going to hear a lot from people with certain
> Intel PCI chipsets who will suddenly find that they HDD/DVD performance
> sucks in rawhide.  I know that work is being done on this in the kernel,
> but that at this stage nothing concrete (that I'm aware of) has been
> done.
>
> This last I don't expect to be fixed, but if the one above could be
> addressed before test1 then this should really alleviate rampant "my
> drive isn't appearing on the desktop" and "my drive isn't showing as
> mounted in Computer" emails from eager testers who don't bother to read
> the list (and subsequent rude "read the archive" emails too.) ;-]
>

> Rodd
>
> --
> "It's a fine line between denial and faith.
>  It's much better on my side"

Jon