FC5test1 devel freeze, November 14th

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 00:10:21 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 16:35 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>>If you are involved in the development of Fedora Core as a packager,
>>here is information that will be relevant to you.
>>
>>FC5test1 devel freeze now November 14th
>>=======================================
>>Rawhide is undergoing a large amount of churn as we are preparing for
>>the switch from monolithic to modular X.  Modular X is one of the larger
>>and more important changes of FC5, meaning we need extensive test
>>exposure.  For this reason the test1 devel freeze has been postponed
>>until November 14th.
>

> Warren,
>
> While I know that the move to modular X is important, there's some other
> nagging issues in rawhide that are going to drive the list mad if they
> aren't addressed before test1 is released.
>
> The most obvious of these (IMHO) is devices not appearing on desktop or
> appearing to be mounted from Computer (et al) when they are indeed
> mounted.
>
> I also suspect that we're going to hear a lot from people with certain
> Intel PCI chipsets who will suddenly find that they HDD/DVD performance
> sucks in rawhide.  I know that work is being done on this in the kernel,
> but that at this stage nothing concrete (that I'm aware of) has been
> done.
>
> This last I don't expect to be fixed, but if the one above could be
> addressed before test1 then this should really alleviate rampant "my
> drive isn't appearing on the desktop" and "my drive isn't showing as
> mounted in Computer" emails from eager testers who don't bother to read
> the list (and subsequent rude "read the archive" emails too.) ;-]

Make sure these issues get filed in bugzilla as soon as they're
discovered, in order to maximize the chances of them getting
fixed sooner rather than later.

If everyone does their part in reporting bugs, it greatly helps
to get the distro in better shape earlier.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for testing!

TTYL