rt2x00 driver support in FC5

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 09:34:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:29:01AM -0600, Michael Favia wrote:

> Would you suggest trying to get the (more stable) separate drivers
> included upstream while the unified driver codebase settles down?
> Meaning, is it a smart move to try to push something in that will be
> functionally replaced in a year? If it isnt terribly difficult to

a year is a long time, so long that I'd say try the existing one. Changing
drivers later isn't that big a deal.

> transition from one driver to the next then where should i start? I've
> never tried to push any patches into the upstream kernel and don't know
> the politics (link or short explanation would be great). :) Thanks.

The "politics" as you call them aren't that bad:

1) you need to submit the code as a patch to linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org
2) people will review your patch and will comment on it for 2 reasons
   1) point out things/bugs that really need to be fixed
   2) see if you respond to issues that are pointed out
3) you fix the stuff that came up, and go back to 1)

depending on the quality of the driver 1 or 2 cycles are enough most of the
time.

It pays to first check and make sure the driver conforms to the standard
linux coding style (see Documentation/CodingStyle.txt). This is not to
nitpick about cosmetics, but the reviewers can review code a whole lot
faster if it has a cosmetic style.

Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven