FC5test1 devel freeze, November 14th

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sat Nov 5 02:13:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:51:56 -0500, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > These fixes are all limited to removable storage.  I was unaware that
> > > there were problems with USB cameras.  Do you have a bugzilla I can
> > > reference?

> > Yes:  #170690, #168933, #150985, #165914

> If the camera is seen as a removable usb storage device, which it sounds
> like these are, then yes it will.  The quick way to tell if it will fix
> your problem is look in the /media directory. [...]

There is no need be so indirect. There's an lsusb dump in one of the
innumeorus bugs which John filed. You do not even have to parse it
yourself, David Zeuten pronounced the camera storage-incompatible
in that bug (correctly).

I am not completely convinced that this issue is worth fixing, because of
security implications. However, it would be nice if someone came up with a configuration for pam and udev which would make console user the owner of
/proc/bus/usb/*/*

-- Pete