Requirements with modular X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Nov 6 16:33:28 UTC 2005

Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> Warren Togami writes:
>
>>In addition to the lack of XFree86-devel and xorg-x11-devel,
>>/usr/X11R6/lib will disappear so packages that previously hardcoded this
>>path will need to be fixed.
>

> A package needs the truetype fonts luxi*.ttf.  Because of the package
> name change from XFree86-truetype-fonts to fonts-xorg-truetype
> previously, I made the requirement be
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/luximbi.ttf etc.  I also have a similar
> dependency on the xhost program, solved in the same way.
>
> There won't be any way to have a requirement on these fonts for all
> three levels: XFree86, monolithic xorg, modular xorg, will there?
> (The XFree86 based system I need to support is RHEL3, so this is maybe
> "semi off topic".)

Hmm.  This is an interesting problem.  Any solution that I can
think of to this, has both advantages and disadvantages, however
I think the following solution has the least disadvantages, and
is simple to implement.

I can add a new virtual provide to modular X, and monolithic X,
which provides the luxi fonts.  Of course the disadvantage of this,
is that the virtual provide wont pre-exist in any currently
released OS products, but it can be added in future erratum.

Provides: luxi-truetype-fonts
Provides: luxi-Type1-fonts

Does this sound reasonable?

The other alternative, is to conditionalize the spec file with
build_fc1 build_fc2 build_fc3 build_fc4 build_fc5 macros, but
that's kindof sucktacular.

I'm open to suggestions.