Where should the modular X11R7 fonts get installed to?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Nov 6 17:37:42 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 11:28 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>

>>I believe Owen, or whoever set up our default fonts.conf configuration,
>>intentionally selected only the above specific /usr/X11R6 font
>>directories, in order to pick up the scaleable Type1 and OTF fonts
>>that come with X, intentionally excluding all of the ugly bitmap
>>fonts and other weirdo fonts from being seen by fontconfig.
>

> bitmap fonts can be turned off in new fontconfig

Some bitmap fonts are desired however.  The ability to turn them
off, would mean we either include them all by default, giving users
some problems (someone has already confirmed that their fonts changed
when enabling fontconfig across all X fonts), or disable them all
by default, meaning bitmap fonts aren't available for terminals,
and terminal-like programs.

Not an optimal solution IMHO.

>>If we put all of the fonts into /usr/share/fonts, then fontconfig
>>will see all of them now, and this might cause you to get a different
>>font than you expected for a given name, whereas fontconfig would
>>not have seen them all before.
>
> They can also be blacklisted in new fontconfig

Blacklisted on a directory by directory basis, or file by file?

How do the blacklists get maintained as new font files/dirs get
added?