disappointment over default acpid config

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:50:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 20:36 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just replaced with my laptop's OLD but working RHL73 with FC4.
> Let me state a strong disappointment over acpid default config.
> What "default config" ?  Exactly, there is none (the sample config for
> power button does not count).
>
> I was stunned how FC could be making ACPI default while completely
> ignoring adding any default configs for the users (e.g., starting from
> something like http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_acpid) ?
>
> Looking at CVS, this problem doesn't seem to have been addressed in
> FC5.  I (or I'm sure a lot of other folks) could submit a patch for
> starters if that'd be the problem.

Have you seen the work that HAL and GNOME Power Manager [1] have been
doing?

You can disable acpid, and configure gnome-power-manager to sleep,
hibernate or shutdown on the button presses.

I think FC5 will be shipping g-p-m by default, so this should solve your
problems. There is a yum repo for FC4 users too.

What did you want to do with acpid?

Thanks,

Richard.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/