moin / bugzilla / qemu

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 12:45:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:33:30PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> laroche at redhat.com (Florian La Roche) writes:
>
> > I've briefly tested a nearly current FC-development install
> > and have put together the following rpm packages to be installed
> > pretty easy:
> > - qemu: this package builds together with the kqemu kernel modul. You have
> >   to download it from the http://qemu.org/ website and then compile the
> >   src.rpm)
>
> Which version are you using? Here, 0.7.2 fails to build on FC4 due to
> gcc-4 issues (which are not trivial to fix).

If you are talking about abusing register variables on i?86, then that's
just qemu's fault.  On a so much register starved arch as i?86 is,
reserving 4 registers as global register variables is very unwise
thing to do, even if it had a small chance of compiling, the resulting
code will be terrible (4 reserved by app, %esp reserved for stack pointer,
%ebx reserved in PIC code and %ebp reserved when not omitting frame pointer
or when using alloca/VLAs means 1 to 3 registers left for all the rest, plus
i?86 is CISCy, so some instructions require certain fixed registers).

	Jakub