Sabayon Screencast

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 15:17:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 09:53 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/7/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I used vnc2swf, which is very nice for doing screencasts, does Istanbul
> > work similarly? If someone could recode the file as ogg that would be
> > very nice.
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/ScreenCasting
>
> as the page says you need the gst-plugins from rawhide. The magic that
> makes this possible was introduced in gst-plugins post fc4. There are
> of course performance caveats. I've packaged this up in
> extras-development specifically with the hopes that people will start
> using this and feel inspired to contribute back to upstream gst to
> make the performance better.
>
> You can skip using istanbul entirely and use a gst pipeline in a
> terminal if you want to be super geeky about it.

It seems like istanbul is doing a full screengrab for each frame. That
can never compete with an XDamage based system like e.g. the gnome vnc
server that I use with vnc2swf.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a suave devious cowboy haunted by an iconic dead American confidante
She's a mistrustful streetsmart museum curator who dreams of becoming Elvis.
They fight crime!