Self-Introduction: Denis Ovsienko and /etc/net project

Denis Ovsienko linux at pilot.org.ua
Mon Nov 7 16:02:38 UTC 2005

> Basically, you are advocating a rewrite of /etc/sysconfig/networking and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. You may start with a detailed explanation as
> to why the setup, that Redhat has provided, is not up to task.

I advocate an alternative, that can be installed and switched into.
I know that people are used to initscripts and don't want to throw it away.
But some people (not only me) are not satisfied with initscripts-way,
see bugzilla.redhat.com for details. I look at that bugs from time to time
and some are seen for several years yet. Being net-scripts maintainer in
ALTLinux, I can't blame Bill Nottingham for that, some things are unfixable
with current design.

A working solution, that was done is ALTLinux, is to:
1. Split initscripts so that network-related part goes to net-scripts package.
net-scripts will provide network-config-subsystem.
2. Find all dependencies on initscripts, change some to
network-config-subsystem. Patch packages that depend on
network-config-subsystem.
3. Pack /etc/net, which will provide network-config-subsystem. Now we have 2
conflicting packages, only one of which will be installed at once. The whole
system should work independently of which one is installed, so it's up to
user which one to use.

Those who edit ifcfg-eth0 once a year will not want to learn a new way to do it.
But those who need more than current initscripts (Ok, network part of
initscripts) can provide, are left with rc.local and an editor. Here is a
list of what currently /etc/net can do but initscripts can't:
- QoS
- inter-interface dependencies
- configuration profiles
- multi-host configuration
- routing rules
- ifrename support
- ifplugd support
[...]
- EXTENSIBLE DESIGN

I (and other people) find solutions of everyday tasks with /etc/net. I don't
want to make others think the way I do, but I need a way to give people choice
freedom within FC. This freedom is demanded.

--
    DO4-UANIC