Sabayon Screencast

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 7 15:59:53 UTC 2005

>BTW I know it's not really Fedora's problem, but I don't think it's
>possible to install a flash-enabled i386 Firefox on x86_64 anymore
>
>This promises to be fun at FC5 time

    Hey,  rpm --erase and use the installer from mozilla.org to install
a 32-bit Mozilla,  then install flash.  Morality aside,  32-bit mplayer
can still link Windows DLL's...  My main frustration is that the
joystick ioctls changed going to 64-bit and that breaks most 32-bit games.

    Other operating systems install 32-bit applications under a 64-bit
kernel.  For instance,  Solaris 10 installs a largely 32-bit userspace
on both Sparc64 and AMD64.  This has the nice effect that the same
Solaris 10 disk installs on both x86-32 and x86-64.  This is probably a
good choice for SPARC,  but AMD64 gets a performance boost from the
extra registers.

    64-bit Windows ships with a 32-bit IE,  largely for compatibility
with Active X controls.

    The proprietary nature of flash burns me up too,  but it's highly
effective and widely used...  Pretty much a requirement for any machine
I use for serious web browsing.  The worst thing is that a lot of sites
use broken "flash detection" algorithms that assume a Linux browser will
never support flash.