FC5 and new init system

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 22:34:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:39:07AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
| On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 13:08 -0500, Luke Macken wrote:
| > The discussions for Fedora's SysVinit replacement are currently off-list,
| > but not for much longer.  Any inclusion of a new init system in FC5 isn't
| > going to happen considering today is the test1 devel freeze, but Fedora
| > Extras will most likely serve to be a good testbed for any init replacements
| > that we plan on testing in the near future.
|
| Unfortunately Extras may not be the best place.  One of the rules of
| Extras is that it doesn't replace something in Core.
|
| Would the new init system require the SysV init stuff be
| disabled/removed?

That all depends on what we plan to implement.  Harald's SystemManager
is an /etc/rc replacement, and works along side of our SysVinit (iirc);
but something like initng[0] is a full out replacement, but has no
file conflicts and should work with SysVinit installed.  I originally
thought FE would be ideal because it would give anyone a chance to test
things out (although, SystemManager seems to be more transparent and
easier to toss in to core right away), and we wouldn't have to have
it obsolete anything until it gets into core.

luke

[0]: http://initng.thinktux.net