init observations

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:23:56 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
> Basically, can we have X up in 10s? :)

I still don't understand exactly why this is the important goal.
Explain to me why the 10second to X goal on "reboot" is more important
than getting a robust suspend/hibernate working that doesn't require a
full boot up process at all? I can see why the fist 4 items in Luke's
list are technical wins for a less grotesque init process... but i
still don't get why getting to a login screen in under 10 seconds on a
full boot is noteworthy or highly desirable compared to a
suspend/hibernate that actually works across desktops and laptop
hardware.

And until we see bootchart output that shows a comparison of initrd to
SysVinit for the default Fedora Core service set... the jury is out on
how big a difference this actually makes for the default case.

-jef