init observations

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Nov 16 06:05:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 17:11 -0500, Paul A Houle wrote:

>     Laura's first complaint about the machine was that it took forever
> to boot,  and I realized she was right.  I took about 2/3 of the stuff
> out of the boot sequence (HP laserjet drivers,  asian language input
> methods...),  and things got a lot better.

In my experience, the faster boot of Windows is just a bit of slight of
hand.  Sure, you get to a graphical desktop faster, but everything is
still loading once you're there.  This would be fine, except that you
can't even look through the start menu and have another service start
(or the start menu disappears - WTF?).

Of course, this situation on Linux would be a lot nice (the application
menu for starters doesn't close because another application starts (or
puts a window on the screen).

Of course, the biggest funny is why Windows starts so quickly.  Users
got sick of having to reboot because Windows was so unstable, so to
address the problem, Microsoft made Windows reboot faster (instead of
fixing the crashes - Again, WTF?)

He he he.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"