init observations

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:34:41 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>You missed my point entirely.
>Why are we considering all "start up" situations as "full boot" scenarios?
>Why isn't focusing on suspend to disk scenarios a better win?

    Software suspend seems to work well.  I wouldn't be suprised if it
has problems at the 1-in-20 level.

    A major reason for rebooting is to put the machine into a clear
state.  I have some Linux desktops that are trouble-free (reboot for
kernel upgrades,  power failures) but I've got some that have problems.
For instance,  I've got one machine that sometimes loses the USB mouse
after I unplug the USB speakers -- maybe it's a hardware problem or
maybe a software problem...  It doesn't happen all that often,  but when
I do,  a reboot fixes it.

    It would be horrible to suspend the machine in a bad state and then
bring it back up in a bad state.  I suppose that you could work out an
emacs-like scheme where we boot the machine,  then dump an image of the
machine that lets us bring the machine back to a clean-boot state.

>I'm not arguing that.. I'm arguing that most day to day startup
>situations do not have to be "full boot" situations they could be
>"recover from suspend" and avoid service startup completely.

    I won't argue with that.  My guess is that the problems in getting
that working at the 1-in-1000 level are worse than getting parallel boot
to work at 1-in-10000.  A next-gen init should be flexible enough that
it can support software suspend scenarios.

    Another concern I'd have for ordinary users is the UI -- as I've
said,  I find myself baffled by commercial OSes that make it hard to
turn off the machine (for instance,  "Log Out" is the easy menu item to
hit on my Mac,  despite the fact that we've got one account that people
actually log into and about 15 Unix accounts for various daemons the
machine runs.)  Would ordinary users understand the difference between
shutting down,  suspending and such?  I,  for one,  have learned to
avoid all the "Suspend" and "Hibernate" options on Windows laptops,
since these often wedge the machine,  forcing me to take the battery
out...  I think we can do better with software suspend,  but confusion
and bad UI could make a good feature into a curse.