init observations

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 16 18:44:11 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>Is there some reasonably valid understanding of how big an impact this
>makes in the average and worst case? Sort of a measure of the spread
>of disk-drive performance out in the wild.
>Say for example...a typical christmas special home desktop from
>Dell... does the disk-seek performance on a system like that make an
>order of magnitude faster bootup or application startup times a
>pipedream?

    My back-of-the-envelope number is 3x better performance in Ultra 320
drives vs PATA for seek-heavy workloads (database apps,  make -j4,  cp a
50 GB directory.)  A big part of the advantage comes from tagged command
queueing -- recent SATA drives support Native Command Queueing (NCQ) but
benchmarks I've seen of NCQ drives aren't impressive.