init observations

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Nov 16 18:48:03 UTC 2005

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge at gmail.com>
> To elaborate.. there are factors beyond your CPU/memory. What kind of
> diskdrive do you have? What is its transfer rates? What are it
> hit/miss rates? How is the layout of the disk optimized for disk-seek?
>
> A lot of commodity disk-drives are sub-par on these areas. This means
> that programs will slow down because you are spending a lot of time
> waiting for the disk-drive to give you bits because it keeps plugging
> up its cache or not able to get various items off disk as fast as
> advertised.

I think this is missing the point -- we are not talking about some
big database intensive application that needs special handling to
work optimally. We are talking about the simplest application on
the desktop, on a fairly beefy machine, running the most stock FC4
out there.

If I need to do _anything_ special to get gedit to start in a decent
manner, something is clearly wrong. And BTW, try to start notepad
in Windows. It's fast.

I think that anything over 500ms for gedit is bad. Even on a 500MHz box.
Granted, part of the problem may be in the application, but the user
doesn't know (and frankly, doesn't care).

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.