Modular X installation results

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Wed Nov 16 22:39:39 UTC 2005

The upgrade to modular X went pretty well for me except for the fact that I
had to install the package "xorg-x11-xauth" manually because the yum update
apparently didn't pick that up.

What I immediately after reboot though was how slow my desktop has become.
Moving around a window on the desktop is now very jerky. Before I saw the
usual gtk refresh artifacts but the movement of the window itself was
smooth. I have DRI disabled because I don't care about 3D and here is the
device config I'm running right now:

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "radeon"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9500 Pro"
#       Option      "RenderAccel" "on"
#       Option      "EnablePageFlip" "on"
#       Option      "BackingStore" "on"
EndSection

According to the log XAA is enabled:

(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
         Screen to screen bit blits
         Solid filled rectangles
         8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
         Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion