questions and issues about the modular X updates

Jason Dravet dravet at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 17 02:41:44 UTC 2005

>>Jason Dravet wrote:
>>
>>    I just updated my rawhide system to the new modular x. I have been
>>reading some of the >>threads discussing this and I have a couple of
>>questions:
>>
>>    1. With modular X (when released) have support for
>>automaticahttp://by103fd.bay103.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=61346a0e9f29bc7b56547fd59892ba60758e39c15a561453426ebfa90047dd1f&mailto=1&to=fedora-devel-list@redhat.com&msg=C60E54F8-83B5-41AA-ACB8-6813CC6DEA7A&start=0&len=26350&src=&type=x#
Sendlly turning on numlock when I >>start X?

>You can do that with any version of X, by calling xset from
>~/.Xclients or ~/.xinitrc, or one of the systemwide locations.

I saw the saw the setup for xset.  I was hoping for a cleaner solution.  For
example IMO having a line in the xorg.conf file to control the caps lock,
scroll lock, and num lock would be the best solution.  It keeps all of the
configuration data together.  When I move to new version of Fedora I format
my hard drive and copy the data back from a usb thumb drive.  Right now I
have to copy back approximately 20 configuration files and alot of odds and
ends to get the system back to where it was before I updated.  If there was
a line in xorg to control the lock keys then to get X back up and running I
would only have to put the xorg.conf back.  Right now I have put xorg.conf
back, copy my mouse.sh file back, and copy the numlock.sh file back.  Am I
crazy for thinking 1 file is better than 3?

>>    2. When I did the yum update all of the xorg-x11-drv rpms downloaded.
>>This is 56 files several >>of which I don't need. I have a Number nine
>>Revolution IV video supported by the i128 package. >>I don't need the
>>cirrus, trident, s3, nv, etc packages, but I can't uninstall them. I get
>>

>Yes, this is intentional.  The reasons for splitting the drivers out
>into individual packages, was to:
>
>- make it very easy for us to release single driver updates
>
>- to drastically reduce the amount of downloading necessary to update
>  a single driver
>
>- drastically reduce the disk space consumption and network bandwidth
>  consumption for mirror sites as well as internal build machines
>
>- to make it easy to add new video drivers to a release without
>  having to release a whole new 150Mb of X packages.

I agree this is a good thing.  Being able to release new drivers as soon as
they come out without having to respwan all of X is great.  My concern is
for bandwidth.  Looking at the xorg-x11-drv files there are about 2.3MB of
drivers.  This number is only going to go up as time goes on and drivers are
added and updated. The idea about installing new hardware and having yum or
some other application go and download the driver is good.  I agree that
such functionality will not be here for FC5.  If this is where things are
going then I will shut up and download everything.

>>    3. My Microsoft Intellimouse explorer (usb) no longer functions as
>>expected. I still have
>>
>>       Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>>       Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>       Option "Buttons" "7"
>>       Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
>>in my xorg.conf.  I also have the mouse.sh file in
>>/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
>>#!/bin/sh
>># /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/mouse.sh
>># Required for the configuration of a 5-button mouse
>>xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
>>
>>    In short the back and forward buttons work as a scroll. How can I fix
>>this?
>
>I believe they've been playing with this part of the code in Xorg CVS
>lately, and that it might have gotten broken.  I think I saw some CVS
>commits go in in the last few days related to button ordering, but I
>don't remember the details.  My recommendation, is to post a message to
>xorg lists freedesktop org about it for now, and see what feedback you
>get back.  If it turns out it is a bug, and is not fixed in CVS, query
>xorg bugzilla to see if someone has already reported it or not, and if
>not, file a bug, and attach your X server config and log, and your
>script to the report, and mark it blocking the release blocker
>bug #1690

You are correct there is a thread called ZAxisMapping causing trouble at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-November/date.html.  I will
keep checking the list for updates.

Thank you for the reply the information was very helpful.
Jason