Another modular X11 report

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 02:55:22 UTC 2005

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> The switch to modular X on my notebook (HP ZE4201, hardware specs here:
> http://www.rexursive.com/articles/linuxonhpze4201.html) was a success,
> with a few minor details going wrong. This is what I checked:
>
> - DRI works
> - switching between X and text consoles works
> - suspend/resume (with suspend2 patched 2.6.14-1.1674_FC5 kernel) works
>
> This is what needs slight attention:
>
> - synaptics module is in the wrong place (probably just needs a
> rebuild); symlinking the module from the old location to the new works
> around the problem

Upgrade to the latest synaptics driver, and if the problem is still
there, please file a bug report against "synaptics".  The rpm should
be changed to use pkg-config to query where the X server's module
directory is, and then install into %{moduledir}/input.

> - as reported by the build system, openmotif is missing deps, which
> breaks Xpdf and third party software like Citrix ICA; I guess this will
> be rebuilt and fixed

Yep, openmotif needs some love. ;o)

> Overall, top marks to people delivering modular X11!

Thanks, much appreciated.