xmkmf in modular X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 12:49:40 UTC 2005

Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Just a quick one related to generation of files with xmkmf. It seems to
> want to run imake like this:
>
> -------------------------
> imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/lib/X11/config
> Imakefile.c:34: error: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
> imake: Exit code 1.
> -------------------------
>
> The file in question is actually here: /usr/share/X11/config/Imake.tmpl
>
> The Imakefile looks like this:
>
> -------------------------
>         DEPLIBS = $(DEPXXF86VMLIB) XawClientDepLibs
> LOCAL_LIBRARIES = $(XXF86VMLIB) XawClientLibs
>            SRCS = xbrightness.c
>            OBJS = xbrightness.o
>
> ComplexProgramTarget(xbrightness)
> -------------------------
>
> Not exactly sure what went wrong...
>
> PS. I'm trying to build xbrightness RPM. If you need the spec file, I
> can shoot that over too.

General advice for imake related problems:

Small apps like that, in general should be easy to transition over from
Imake to GNU autotools.  That is my own personal strong recommendation
to upstream projects, as the imake build system is going to die a quick
death most likely, since X no longer uses it.

For the time being however, X does still provide imake, but that will
probably change in another release or two, since it is just dead code
no longer used by X itself.

For this specific problem:

It is probably a glitch in the new imake package.  If you can confirm
that, please file a bug in Red Hat bugzilla, and we'll investigate it.
Keep in mind though, that imake is on the path to oblivion, and thus
low priority.  I can't stress enough that people should stop using
imake for software projects out there, as it is pretty close to not
having an upstream maintainer in another 6 months or so.

tick tock,
tick tock,
goes the sound of the imake clock...

;oP